Yardley village area
444 House, Garden and Brickkiln (owner Henry Foxall, occupier himself)
Location: west side of Church Road, Yardley, a little south of Barrows Lane. Most of the site is shown as terraced cottages in 1888, with outbuildings behind. Henry Foxall is listed in a directory of 1850 as a tile maker and retail brewer.
447 Tile House Meadow (owner John Smallbrook, occupier himself)
Location: field to west of 448.
448 Tile Kiln, etc. (owner John Smallbrook, occupier himself)
Location: just north of 444, on the west side of Church Road, just south of the junction with Barrows Lane. This site was south of the Grange (which became the Carmelite convent, and is now sheltered housing). Jon Smallbrook is listed in a directory of 1841 as a maltster, farmer and brick and tile maker.
Parts of both 444 and 448 may survive under the car park of the Ring of Bells. The 1860s pub was built over part of 448: the current Ring of Bells opened in 1939 behind the smaller building, which was demolished.
See the map above for sites 483, 469 and 493.
483 Talbot Inn, House, Brick Kiln, Malt House and Garden (owners John Heath and Sarah Smallbrook, occupiers John Heath and
Location: the south end of Yardley village, on the east side of Church Road.
469 Meadow with Brickkiln, etc. (owner John Greenway, occupier Joseph Waldron)
Location: Yardley village, behind the south end of the former butcher’s premises. Joseph Waldron is listed in a directory of 1841 and a directory of 1850 as a beerseller and tile maker.
493 Tile House Piece with Brick Kiln, etc. (owner Yardley Great Trust, occupier Thomas Hopkins)
Location: just behind the former girls’ school/old Parish Hall in Yardley village. Part of the site may survive near the 1903 almshouses.
A directory of 1841 lists William Marston as a farmer and tilemaker. He had two fields with buildings at the junction of Church Road and Stoney Lane (432 and 433) and two fields with no buildings a little further up on the east side of Church Road (551 and 552).
A Museum and Art Gallery/Planning Department leaflet about Yardley village (1980) says that Church Farm (460 on the Tithe Map) was also known as Tile House Farm.