Olton Convent School
Well over twenty years ago the Society visited Olton Convent while researching the convent school in Acocks Green. Sister Agnes showed us material and gave us information about both. We have recently been sent more material about the Olton school, and it seems appropriate to present something about this school now. Our thanks go to Chris Holloway for his kind contribution to our archive.
The convent and school occupied a large site between St. Bernard's Road and Kineton Green Road just north of where they met. According to Solihull Library's website and other sources, the main building, Olton Court, later 89 St. Bernard's Road, dates from 1891, and was extended eight years later. It was built for Daniel Hasluck. French nuns from The Roman Catholic Order of Our Lady of Compassion bought the property in 1902 and French nuns arrived in 1903 to set up the school, which was intended for the daughters of 'gentleman'. By 1913 an extra block had been built behind the main building, running west towards Kineton Green Road. A Montessori block was added c. 1937, and further extensions and sports facilities were made, until the school had grown to house 600 pupils. In 1967, the convent merged with the Servite Order, and in 1974 the school was merged with Bishop Glancey High School to form St. Peter's Catholic School. The convent building was separate from the now Local Authority Voluntary-aided school, whose entrance is in Kineton Green Road. In 1978 the Servite Order built 27 flats just south of the main building. This new development, number 101, is known as Servite House. Olton Court was sold and refurbished by the Lapworth Partnership in 2007 to form 12 luxury apartments. the main building is now known as Hasluck House. It is Locally Listed as being of special architectural or historic interest. Many of the pictures below come from sets produced in order to advertise the school.
Tributes to Sister Marie du Sacre-Coeur van Bylevelt, 1892-1982
The Oltonian School Annual, 1937