Greswolde Park Road
The name of this road refers to the owners of the Malvern Hall Estate, who sold the land. At that time the family was called Greswolde-Williams. This is one of the premier roads in Acocks Green, developed almost entirely in the Edwardian period.
The 1904 O.S. map shows two houses: Longville (number 2), and Rushbury (number 5). Half the odd-numbered side at the Arden Road end is taken up by tennis courts and a pavilion. The 1905 directory adds Greswolde House (number 17), later lived in by the City Librarian, Herbert Cashmore in place of the tennis courts. In the same year Porthkerran (number 4) appears, as does a house called Thornvik, which may have been number 12. By 1907 Hendon (number 9) is listed. By 1908 number 1 (Enville) and number 3 (Wynnstay) appear. Number 11 (Wentworth) is in the 1910 directory, and number 7 (Woodville) is in the 1912 directory. A year later Newsome (number 13) and Colwyn (number 15) appear.
Number 12 was called Langdale in 1911. Number 14 (Arlington) and 16 (Muristan) appear the same year. The 1916 O.S. map shows all these houses, but not numbers 8 and 10. Number 10 dates from 1924 and number 8 from 1930. There was never a house numbered 6. A copse apparently accessed from number 8 was shown in directories from 1940 until 1951 as the Acocks Green Baptist Bowling Club. This area became Orchard Way in 1969, with number 12 disappearing to make an access point.
Number 1A dates from 1986, number 17A from 1989, and number 19 from 1994. In 2011 a new house, number 18, sympathetic in style to its neighbours was built alongside number 16.
Number 4 is a respite care home for people with a learning disability.
It is now possible to see the sequence of large-scale O.S. maps online at www.old-maps.co.uk. For this road enter the postcode B27 6QD, and choose the 1:2,500 maps up until 1952-4 (there is no 1937 map at this scale). Use the plus and minus buttons to change how close up you wish to see the houses. The map can be dragged by using click and hold as normal.