Redhill Road to the cinema
Here is the first long residential stretch on this side of the Coventry Road. Numbers 112 to 120, later 1153 to 1161, are on the 1888 map, and therefore at least three years older than that. Numbers 142 to 144 (1183 to 1185) are also on the map. The first houses from the corner of Redhill Road were initially known as 1 to 6 Redhill Villas. Then came the older group, Hollyhurst and 4 to 1 Rose Cottages. Then came 4 to 1 Poplar Place and 5 to 1 Holly Place. (The numbering is in some cases east to west at this time). Numbers 142 to 144 may have been named Laurel House and New House, the latter being the home of sausage skin manufacturer Henry Lucas, whose business was at Deakins Lane.
Following Grayson are Ridgewing Fancy Goods, Annette Hairdresser, the Lantern Transport Cafe, I.F. Bird secondhand shop, and the Domestic Appliance Repair Centre. All soon to be derelict.
Initially called Jubilee House (so possibly new in 1897) by Thomas Vann, who had a cycles business listed there, the 1906 Rate Books show it was now occupied by Martha Cook. She re-named the house Trow Villa with a name plaque. It became a Unionist Club around 1920. and remained as such until demolition. Pressure for a replacement club led to the Hay Mills Social Club being built. M and B applied for a sign at the new club in 1987. The 1927 cinema is to the left of the property.
The Adelphi was built behind the Picture House, eventually rather close to the huge claypit behind. It had over 1200 seats, and closed in 1968. An early promotional picture is on the Cinema Treasures website. It then became the Coral Reef Night Club by 1970, then a builders merchant in 1978. An application to use the upper floor as a Sikh temple was refused in 1979, but three years later continued use as such was applied for. Use as a Gurdwara/community centre was refused in 1993, but it did become one anyway according to local people.